10/13/09
Ok, so I am finally making an update to my blog….do you hear the trumpets blowing?? Lol :)
Well where to start? I haven’t updated since June but truthfully not too much of anything interesting has happened since then until last week. I’ll start with that and work backwards.
Most of you already know this but as a quick review I had a kitty emergency last week. On Tuesday I left from work and headed to the city to go see the Broadway show Rent. (Which, by the way, I would not recommend to anyone. The music was forgettable and the storyline blaa. Even beyond all the druggies, group sex, and homosexuality…the storyline was still boring I thought. I just wanted to yell out…get off drugs and find a job! But I digress…..) On my way up to the city I got a call from my roommate telling me that Cowley was having a problem with one of her legs. She said there was no visible break and she let her touch and squeeze it with no signs of pain. I thought she might have just sprained it and told her I’d check when I got home. Well, when I got home, at 12:30am, I found out it was much more than a sore leg, she was actually paralyzed from the waist down!! PANIC!! My poor little baby looking up at me and saying with her eyes “mommy, I can’t move anywhere”. Oh…poor thing. Well I couldn’t just leave her there like that until the morning so I took her to a 24hr emergency clinic. They took xrays and couldn’t see a clear problem. They told me that there were two possibilities. It was either cancer on her spine which had no treatment or something like shortening of the discs or compression of the discs and that would require risky back surgery. Of course I didn’t like either of those options! And to find out which one it was, they suggested an MRI. Well I just didn’t feel comfortable with that prognosis so I asked if she thought giving her steroids would help and she said they might but wasn’t very encouraging about that route. I said I needed to wait and see if other options helped before putting her through the MRI and possibly surgery. She didn’t seem to be in any pain, she just couldn’t stand up or walk. So I left her there over night and we started the steroid treatments. The next day I had a different vet look at her and that vet gave the same prognosis. I didn’t like that response either so it was off to a 3rd opinion. I found a vet that specialized in cats and is really well known so I scheduled a visit with her, but it was going to be a few days before I could get in with her. I took Cowley home and proceeded to carry her from upstairs to downstairs and made little sanctuaries for her around the house, trying to make her as comfortable as possible but my heart went out to her that she couldn’t move and go where she wanted when she wanted. I elicited all my friends to help me pray for her and I said probably hundreds of prayers each day myself, along with massaging her and making her feel happy so she’d stay healthy. Well, it all worked. I’m calling it a miracle, you can call it what you want, but every day she started to get mobility back in her legs. By the time I took her to the cat expert vet, she was using both her back legs at about 40%. She can now get up and down the stairs herself too! We’re not sure what caused the paralysis, but I’m glad she’s getting better. I couldn’t ask for anything more at this point. Last Tuesday I was at the lowest of lows thinking of the hard decisions I might have to make and today I’m on top of the world. What a difference a week makes!!
Ok, so that was the big drama happening last week. Before that here’s a quick review of what’s been going on over the last couple of months.
Here's a video of how's she's getting along now.
July – went to visit Robyn in Korea then we flew to China. I think most all of you have heard updates on this so I won’t bore you with those details anymore. Robyn kept some good notes on her blog.
Me at The Great Wall....in person....in CHINA!!!! :)
August – Bought a new car…well, new to me but previously loved car. It’s a 2006 Infiniti FX35, which is the mid-size SUV. I LOVE it, but the gas mileage leaves something to be desired. And now that I’m commuting 65miles a day for work, that took a bite out of my check. But more annoying is the amt of times I have to fill up. I’ve already run out of gas in it once and had a really close call another time. I'm now trying to get in the habit now of filling up at ½ tank….I know, should have been doing that all along, but I think it’s a girl thing to wait until the light comes on. Lol :)
September – Rode my bike to Street Vibes in Reno with my biker friends. We rode up the back way around Tahoe and it was beautiful.
Other than that I’ve just been working my butt off at work. There is a ton of stuff to do and I think they think I’m 3 people! Actually, they just gave me an internal resource and the req to hire another one so that’s going to help. It’s a really really good opportunity I have here. They created the position for me to start with and now they created a new department in the company and put me in charge of it with 2 resources. So now comes the time to prove to them they did the right thing, which means A LOT of work. But so far so good.
Now I think I’m done with my mini-War&Peace novel. I still love reading everyone else’s’ blogs so keep up the good work!!

yeah! I'm so glad you finally posted! Cowly is doing SO MUCH BETTER. It really is amazing. I'm a little offended that you said, " I haven’t updated since June but truthfully not too much of anything interesting has happened since then until last week" hello.... your trip to see me and going to China was not interesting? and then you kinda just gloss over it in the blog- whatever!
ReplyDelete-Robyn